Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eating Buddies

Tomorrow my husband and I celebrate our 3rd anniversary. Neither of us has been as big as we are right now. We are eating buddies. I really realized that after last weekend. I won't catalog the M&M's, Famous Dave's, etc., etc., etc.

Nevertheless I paid a price at the scale today. 8/10 of a pound or 12.5 ounces. At least it wasn't the other way. And it was the result of the weekend. Not just the weekend only, but I fear the nature of our relationship. Ironically, the lesson at WW was about not letting the scale determine our mood. The leader said that she had one woman who would say over and over, "I love myself no matter what. I love myself no matter what."

Well, I need some kind of mantra. I'm not lovin' myself no matter what these days. Sadly, my weight is a reflection of my struggles since we've been married. It has not been a walk in the park, for either me or my husband.

But the thing I didn't expect is the danger of living with an eating buddy. Today we went to the mall to buy him an anniversary present. We walked in through the food court. There we passed Rocky Mountain Chocolates, Panda Express, Sbarro, etc., etc., etc. Into the mall where we saw Godiva Chocolates, V Chocolates, and didn't head all the way down to See's Candy. Oh my. My husband settled on 2 cookies from Mrs. Fields. On the way in, I had spyed TCBY and expressed a longing. My husband, always eager to please, steered me into the ice cream shop where a lone worker tried to ply her wares. But I held steady. I really didn't need TCBY, so in spite of my husband's urging; we left the shop.

But how do you keep will power at a high level when your eating buddy is with you day in day out?

I came home and exercised for 15 minutes, which was better than nothing, to a Biggest Loser Workout. Most discouraging to see how bad my fitness level is right now.

So now I am hungry and want to eat when I was full from a healthy dinner only 3 hours ago. Why, oh why, can't full last?

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever considered being broke! I mean really broke! Where you can't go to the mall and pass all those fun eating establishments!

    Well, I guess I'm not really putting this forward as a solution! The fact is, we are blessed, and in being blessed, sometimes we have to choose just how to experience those blessings!

    I so hear this lament! We are so trained to "reward" ourselves at every turn around here with an eat treat! We Deserve it! LOL! (wimper and cry!) It is not easy to lose when you are on each other's side! And what us men feel is showing love is maybe not what you want to have! We give chocolates and flowers to get out of the doghouse! So who is going to throw away the chocolates and eat the flowers?

    Can your eating buddy become your walking buddy? I know, it's easier to say than to do! Maybe you should take on this woman's mantra for a time and see if it will fit on you. You may find that you love it when you feel good, and that may be part of the incentive to go the next moment, the next hour, the next day!

    As to us guys... Just love us! We mean well, even though we are subterfuging every effort gained! (sorry, I didn't mean to say gained...)

    ReplyDelete